For the second stage, the organisers had made the option to postpone the start by two hours, in case the mistral wind was making cycling difficult. This was not necessary, so the riders started at midnight as planned. During this stage, Antoine Fauré lead close to his hometown, and 200 fans tried to stop the rest of the cyclists from following him. Garin hurt his hand during the incident, and Giovanni Gerbi was knocked unconscious, and had to give up with broken fingers. The situation was only solved after race officials fired shots in the air. Further on, nails and broken glass had been spread along the road, which caused many flat tires. Because of this help, Fauré was the first on top of the Col de la République a.k.a the Col du Grand Bois, but was taken over by the favourites later. Aucouturier won the sprint. When the riders reached Marseille, they complained that there had been too many incidents in this stage, and the stage results should be cancelled. In the last part, they had been stopped by a large group of cyclists. Maurice Garin had been attacked, and his arm had been injured: he finished the stage steering with only one hand. There was so much confusion at the last controle post, that the exact arrival times of the cyclists were not recorded.
1. Hippolyte Aucouturier (Fra) en 15h09'00" (*) (moy : 24.686 km/h)
2. César Garin (Fra) (*)
3. Lucien Pothier (Fra) à 1" (*)
4. Maurice Garin (Fra) (*)
5. Antoine Faure (Fra) à 2"
6. Emile Lombard (Bel)
7. Henri Cornet (Fra) à 3"
8. Jean-Baptiste Dortignacq (Fra)
9. Chaput (Fra) à 4" (*)
10. Alois Catteau (Bel) à 40'00"
11. François Beaugendre (Fra) à 1h22'00"
12. Julien Gabory (Fra) à 1h22'02"
13. Julien Lootens "Samson" à 1h24'30"
14. Eugène Ventresque (Fra) à 1h51'00"
15. Jean Dargassies (Fra) à 2h12'00"
16. Camille Fily (Fra) à 2h29'00" (él.2°)
17. Charles Prévost (Fra) à 2h32'00"
18. René Saget (Fra) à 2h53'00"
19. Henri Paret (Fra) à 2h54'00"
20. Achille Colas (Fra)
21. Michel Frédérick (Sui) à 3h02'00"
22. Maurice Carrere (Fra) à 3h33'00"
23. Grimenwald (Fra)
24. Philippe Jousselin (Fra) à 3h41'00" (él.1°)
25. Julien Maitron (Fra) à 3h49'00"
26. Eugène Geay (Fra) à 4h10'00"
27. Gustave Drioul (Bel) à 4h18'00"
28. Romain Lardillier (Fra) à 5h30'00"
29. Auguste Daumain (Fra)
30. Louis Colsaet (Bel) à 7h02'00"
31. Auguste Rist (Fra) à 7h32'00"
32. Auguste Gauthier (Fra)
33. Antoine Deflotriere (Fra) à 11h57'00"
34. Philippe De Balade (Fra) à 12h49'00"
35. Auguste Maisonneuve (Fra)
36. Albert Niepceron (Fra)
37. Emile Poupin (Fra) à 13h03'00"
38. Noël Prévost (Fra) à 13h06'00" (él.1°)
39. Laurent Tachet (Fra) à 13h12'00"
40. Damelincourt (Fra) à 13h35'00"
41. Eugène Delhaye (Bel) à 14h16'00" Sluiten